Monday

I Am Pathetic

In last Friday's blog I bleated about how I waste my time on Facebook babbling about nothing of consequence ... whilst at the same time promising to pull my finger out and actually blog about something real, namely my recent trip to a Melbourne strip club and brothel. Naturally I posted this breaking news on my Facebook page, which elicited the following witty comment from one wag:

"you just blogged about a blog that you're going to write.  
just write the blog."

Said wag is absolutely correct, although in my defence there was a subtext to the blog - namely that a lot of people waste a lot of time on Facebook talking about nothing. Like Seinfeld, but without the longevity.

Anyway, within minutes of me posting my blog and then cross-posting it on Facebook, Simon Grigg did exactly the same for his latest blog post.

His blog is brilliant and I felt quite deflated. Here I was, getting myself all fired up about blogging something real, and then he just quietly does it. I blog about how I'm going to blog, but he actually blogs. Damn him and his succinct precis of the immorality of our obsession with Swine Flu while the 3rd World continues (as always) to suffer a thousand times worse.

You can find his blog here, but to whet your appetite I'll lift one of his quotes:


We met at lunchtime, not to talk of heart attacks and Lego, but of flu. There have been deaths in Mexico. There has been one in the US. Our Indian partner said: "There were 2,000 deaths, mainly children in Africa and Asia, yesterday."

Our medical student looked shocked: "I didn't know swine flu had reached that part of the world." "It hasn't," said our partner. "I'm talking of deaths from malaria. But that isn't news, is it?"

We were silent for a while. Time to get things in proportion.


Oh yeah, and BTW: Grigg is actually planning a Box/Cause Celebre reunion party. Not just thinking about one (as I do all the time with Cheap Sex) but actually planning one - as in booking a venue and organising DJs.  I think I first realised my life had been wasted when Obama got elected. He's not that much older than me, and he's the President of the U.S.A. 

I'm a guy who blogs about blogging. One day. Maybe next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment